Thursday 22 November 2012

So pleased to have found the cure to my PCs sound problem

OK. So I've had a problem with poor sound quality on my PC for a couple of weeks now and had been searching for the cure without success. Until today, that is.

The problem - the audio had a kind of stuttering quality to it - was associated with any audio playback happening but just affecting the audio stream coming through my Chrome browser. Youtube and BBC iPlayer were both affected and, I'm guessing, all other similar sources had I been bothered to test further. I also knew the problem was restricted to Chrome because I'd watched the same videos through Internet Explorer and discovered that the audio played back via IE was just fine.

I'd found through my searching that there appeared to be many others affected by problems with the Adobe Flash plugin and so had already tried several suggested solutions including going into the Flash Player Settings Manager (accessed via the Control Panel) and deleting the browser data and settings. Next I uninstalled Flash via Add/Remove programs. I then updated to the latest release (11.5.502.110) but still no solution found.

I then discovered that Chrome has another separate set of plugins which are accessed by entering the following address from within Chrome itself: chrome://plugins/  Navigating to that page will bring up a list of all currently installed plugins with one or more Flash Player plugins among those listed. I found that my browser had a couple of different versions of Flash plugin including the latest (as above) so I simply disabled the older (11.5.31.2) Flash plugin.



It was that final step of disabling the older Flash plugin that delivered the needed break Hurrah!

Be aware, also, that if you disable the only installed Flash plugin you'll be prompted to install a Flash plugin the next time you access media which depends on the plugin. Should be no biggy, though :)

I sincerely hope this solution helps someone else out there struggling with this same problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment