Tuesday 12 February 2013

Problems downloading attachments in hotmail? I’ve seen this and have fixed it. Read on to find out how I did it.


I was invited to assist a client who was struggling to overcome a newly evolved problem on her Windows 7 laptop. The issue is understood to have appeared following the removal of Google Chrome from the system. Specifically the user was no longer able to download email attachments from her hotmail account. All attempts to do so resulted in the appearance of the following pop-up message along the lower edge of the Internet Explorer 9 browser window. The wording in the dialog box reads… Do you want to save  Get attachment_aspx?file= xxxxxxxxxxxx with a dropdown menu giving options to save or save as. Clicking on either button or the ‘x’ resulted in no response. Yup… zombified!
getattachment
One suggested solution I discovered involved either enabling or disabling the browser’s Silverlight add-on. Alas that step did nothing to help. Another suggestion I came across was to make sure that the program and file associations were set back to refer to IE rather than Chrome. This revealed that some associations were set incorrectly but updating them didn’t help. In the end updating the browser to IE10 nailed it for me. However I also updated the old style hotmail interface to the Outlook one at the same time; it may have played a part.
My hope is that one or more of these suggested solutions helps others searching for a fix to the same or a similar issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment